Low back pain is a bummer. And it can be super frustrating when the normal treatments of stretching and heat only provide a little bit of relief.
But did you know that low back pain could also be related to your pelvic floor?
Pelvic floor dysfunction is often only mentioned in the context of women after childbirth – but everyone has muscles at the base of the pelvis that help form core and spinal stability.
And if you’ve been pushing through back pain but haven’t explored what’s going on in your pelvis? Today’s episode is for you.
(PS. if you are struggling with back pain, make sure to also listen to last week’s episode, #152, for the relationship between tight hip flexors and low back pain)
A little bit every day is enough to maintain your body so you can forget about soreness, tension and pain. Movement Mavens is the only program of it’s kind that not only teaches you how to maintain your body and move well, but also helps you craft your personalized plan so you can build sustainable strength, consistently. Learn more now at www.aewellness.com/mavens
What you’ll lean from this episode:
- Why your low back pain might be related to your pelvic floor
- The anatomy of the pelvic floor
- Why working on the muscles of the hip and pelvis can help your low back feel better
- The Role of the Obturator Internus Muscle in Pelvic Floor Function ( Journal of Women’s Health Physical Therapy)
- Association between lumbopelvic pain and pelvic floor dysfunction in women: A cross sectional study (Musculoskeletal Science and Practice)
- Low Back Pain and Pelvic Floor Disorders (Physiopedia)
- Assessment of pelvic floor muscle function in women with and without low back pain using transabdominal ultrasound (Manual Therapy)
- How to Find Neutral Pelvis and Spine (AE Wellness YouTube)
- Glute and Hamstring Warmup (AE Wellness YouTube)
- 30 days to more strength + flexibility with the Mobility Mastery Toolkit
- Movement Mavens has the tools and strategy to support you on your path to enjoying life without pain – www.aewellness.com/mavens
- www.aewellness.com/podcast – Show notes, links and more
- Join the free Body Nerds FB community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/aewbodynerds/
- Come hang out with me on Instagram @hollaformala : https://instagram.com/hollaformala/
- TikTok @ aewellness
- Bodywork Starter Guide – learn the 6 places you need to roll right now for quick-relief, plus the reason why what you’ve tried so far has only given you a temporary fix. Download the guide for free now at www.aewellness.com/bodywork
- 818-396-6501 is the Body Nerd Hotline – how do you build consistency and/or where are you getting stuck? Drop me a line and let me know your body nerd hacks – you might just hear your voice on a future episode!
Today’s episode is brought to you the Brain in Pain Workshop. Join me and licensed therapist Natalie Moore on Saturday, March 19th at 9:30 am PT to learn the science of why we get stuck in the pain cycle and a step-by-step practice to get out of it. Plus, you’ll save $15 off your registration when you use code “BODYNERD” at
Music by: @dcuttermusic / http://www.davidcuttermusic.com