What do neck pain, eye strain and post-concussive symptoms have in common? They’re all connected to dysfunction in the tiny muscles at the base of your skull known as the suboccipitals.
I know I talk about how it’s all connected – and that makes no difference if we’re talking about your IT band, ankle, neck pain, or eyeballs.
Computer vision syndrome (aka digital eye strain) has been a recognized health problem for over 20 years and to the surprise of absolutely no one, has been increasing among the general population througout the COVID lockdown.
So while you’re not the only one doom scrolling, getting rid of those daily headaches and regular neck pain may require addressing eye strain (and not just your neck).
So whether you have neck pain in the mornings, at the end of a long day, or all day every day and can’t figure out what’s causing it – today’s episode is for you.
A little bit every day is enough to maintain your body so you can forget about soreness, tension and pain. Movement Mavens is the only program of it’s kind that not only teaches you how to maintain your body and move well, but also helps you craft your personalized plan so you can build sustainable strength, consistently. Learn more now at www.aewellness.com/mavens
What you’ll lean from this episode:
- The relationship between eye strain and neck pain
- How addressing neck pain can improve post-concussive symptoms
- And easy changes you can make right now to improve your neck pain
- Computer Vision Syndrome (Cedars Sinai)
- Suboccipital release (AE Wellness YouTube)
- Cervico-ocular Reflex Is Increased in People With Nonspecific Neck Pain (Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Journal)
- Digital eye strain: prevalence, measurement, and amelioration (British Medical Journal: Open Ophalmology)
- Digital eye strain: prevalence and associated factors among information technology professionals, Egypt (Environmental Science and Pollution Research)
- 30 days to more strength + flexibility with the Mobility Mastery Toolkit
- Movement Mavens has the tools and strategy to support you on your path to enjoying life without pain – www.aewellness.com/mavens
- www.aewellness.com/podcast – Show notes, links and more
- Join the free Body Nerds FB community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/aewbodynerds/
- Come hang out with me on Instagram @hollaformala : https://instagram.com/hollaformala/
- TikTok @ aewellness
- Bodywork Starter Guide – learn the 6 places you need to roll right now for quick-relief, plus the reason why what you’ve tried so far has only given you a temporary fix. Download the guide for free now at www.aewellness.com/bodywork
- 818-396-6501 is the Body Nerd Hotline – how do you build consistency and/or where are you getting stuck? Drop me a line and let me know your body nerd hacks – you might just hear your voice on a future episode!
Today’s episode is brought to you by AE Wellness Mobility Assessments. Not sure what you should be doing for mobility? Instead of trying a bazillion things and spending hours a day, get strategic coaching with a Mobility Assessment… with me! You’ll get your personalized mobility workout plan with the best mobilizations and activations for you, plus all the videos organized in custom playlists to keep things simple. Save $50 off your Mobility Assessment when you use code BODYNERD at
Music by: @dcuttermusic / http://www.davidcuttermusic.com