When it comes to ongoing neck pain and TMJ dysfunction, you probably haven’t considered your tongue.
But did you know your tongue is actually 8 muscles? Some of which connect to all those tight and grouchy places around your head and neck?
So when it comes to neck and jaw pain – we have to talk about the tongue.
The inspiration for today’s episode came from a message I received after episode 148 about this individual’s experience with a tongue tie (aka ankyloglossia) and better breathing mechanics
But if you have ongoing neck pain, TMJ, issues with breathing, snoring, or swallowing – your tongue might have something to do with it and today’s episode is 100% for you.
A little bit every day is enough to maintain your body so you can forget about soreness, tension and pain. Movement Mavens is the only program of it’s kind that not only teaches you how to maintain your body and move well, but also helps you craft your personalized plan so you can build sustainable strength, consistently. Learn more now at www.aewellness.com/mavens
What you’ll lean from this episode:
- The relationship between your tongue, neck pain and TMJ issues
- Why more adults are getting frenectomies
- What the research has to say about tongue ties, neck pain and snoring
- Jaw Pain Self-Care Guide – www.aewellness.com/jawpain/ use code BODYNERD163 at checkout to save $10
- Lingual frenuloplasty with myofunctional therapy: Exploring safety and efficacy in 348 cases (Investigative Otolaryngology)
- Lingual and Maxillary Labial Frenuloplasty with Myofunctional Therapy as a Treatment for Mouth Breathing and Snoring (Case Reports in Otolaryngology)
- Management of ankyloglossia (case report – Journal of Oral Research and Review)
- Is ankyloglossia associated with obstructive sleep apnea?
- Easy massage for jaw pain
- The tongue after whiplash: case report and osteopathic treatment
- 30 days to more strength + flexibility with the Mobility Mastery Toolkit
- Movement Mavens has the tools and strategy to support you on your path to enjoying life without pain – www.aewellness.com/mavens
- www.aewellness.com/podcast – Show notes, links and more
- Join the free Body Nerds FB community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/aewbodynerds/
- Come hang out with me on Instagram @hollaformala : https://instagram.com/hollaformala/
- TikTok @ aewellness
- Bodywork Starter Guide – learn the 6 places you need to roll right now for quick-relief, plus the reason why what you’ve tried so far has only given you a temporary fix. Download the guide for free now at www.aewellness.com/bodywork
- 818-396-6501 is the Body Nerd Hotline – how do you build consistency and/or where are you getting stuck? Drop me a line and let me know your body nerd hacks – you might just hear your voice on a future episode!
Today’s episode is brought to you by AE Wellness Mobility Assessments. Not sure what you should be doing for mobility? Instead of trying a bazillion things and spending hours a day, get strategic coaching with a Mobility Assessment… with me! You’ll get your personalized mobility workout plan with the best mobilizations and activations for you, plus all the videos organized in custom playlists to keep things simple. Save $50 off your Mobility Assessment when you use code BODYNERD at
Music by: @dcuttermusic / http://www.davidcuttermusic.com