When it comes to soreness, is there really a difference between foam rollers, massage guns, and therapy balls? Does the timing (aka pre-workout or after) matter?
Today I’m joined by coach educator and sports science consultant, Jack Martin. Jack is currently a postgraduate student studying for his master’s degree in sports and exercise science at the University of Winchester in England.
He’s a genius when it comes to breaking down scientific research jargon into practical (and applicable) information we can actually use.
His best piece of advice? Even though there are some differences in the type of tool you use, length of application, and when you do it, Jack says the most important thing is “to just get started”.
So if you have a stack of mobility tools staring at you (slightly dusty) from the corner, and you’re not sure which one to grab? Then today’s episode will help dispel some myths so you can get started.
A little bit every day is enough to maintain your body so you can forget about soreness, tension and pain. Movement Mavens is the only program of it’s kind that not only teaches you how to maintain your body and move well, but also helps you craft your personalized plan so you can build sustainable strength, consistently. Learn more now at
What you’ll lean from this episode:
- What causes soreness and research-backed ways to lessen the effects of delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS)
- The difference between massage guns and foam rollers
- How much you actually need to roll to feel a benefit
- SportingTheory UK – Jack’s website
- Read Jack’s latest publications and more on LinkedIn
- Shop Massage Guns www.aewellness.com/massagegun
- 30 days to more strength + flexibility with the Mobility Mastery Toolkit
- Movement Mavens has the tools and strategy to support you on your path to enjoying life without pain – www.aewellness.com/mavens
- www.aewellness.com/podcast – Show notes, links and more.
- Join the free Body Nerds FB community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/aewbodynerds/
- Come hang out with me on Instagram @hollaformala : https://instagram.com/hollaformala/
- TikTok @ aewellness
- Bodywork Starter Guide – learn the 6 places you need to roll right now for quick-relief, plus the reason why what you’ve tried so far has only given you a temporary fix. Download the guide for free now at www.aewellness.com/bodywork
- 818-396-6501 is the Body Nerd Hotline – how do you build consistency and/or where are you getting stuck? Drop me a line and let me know your body nerd hacks – you might just hear your voice on a future episode!
Today’s episode is brought to you by AE Wellness Mobility Assessments. Not sure what you should be doing for mobility? Instead of trying a bazillion things and spending hours a day, get strategic coaching with a Mobility Assessment… with me! You’ll get your personalized mobility workout plan with the best mobilizations and activations for you, plus all the videos organized in custom playlists to keep things simple. Save $50 off your Mobility Assessment when you use code BODYNERD at
Music by: @dcuttermusic / http://www.davidcuttermusic.com