Being hypermobile usually puts you in one of two camps:
- you are incredibly bendy, excel at yoga and other stretchy things, and hardly ever feel the pull of a stretch everyone else complains about
- your body is super tight (and often painful) in some places because it’s trying to create the stability your joints lack
I was a #1 for the longest time – and in the most amount of pain when I was at my most flexible.
Hypermobility is a complex topic, with lots of evolving terminology, multiple related medical diagnoses, and new published research.
And if you find that stretching isn’t relieving your pain, understanding hypermobility may be the key to moving better and feeling better.
So if you think you might be hypermobile (or work with clients who are), then today’s episode is for you!
A little bit every day is enough to maintain your body so you can forget about soreness, tension and pain. Movement Mavens is the only program of it’s kind that not only teaches you how to maintain your body and move well, but also helps you craft your personalized plan so you can build sustainable strength, consistently. Learn more now at www.aewellness.com/mavens
What you’ll lean from this episode:
- What it means to be hypermobile
- Different types of hypermobility on the spectrum
- Why adding strength training is the key to better joint stability (and less pain), especially if you’re living in a bendy body
- How to Find Neutral Spine
- Functional Crawling Patterns
- Glute and Hamstring warmup
- The Beighton Score as a measure of generalised joint hypermobility (Rheumatology International)
- Diagnosis and Management of Hypermobility Spectrum Disorders in Primary Care (Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine)
- Muscle strength, muscle power and body composition in college-aged young women and men with Generalized Joint Hypermobility (PLOS ONE)
- 30 days to more strength + flexibility with the Mobility Mastery Toolkit
- Movement Mavens has the tools and strategy to support you on your path to enjoying life without pain – www.aewellness.com/mavens
- www.aewellness.com/podcast – Show notes, links and more.
- Join the free Body Nerds FB community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/aewbodynerds/
- Come hang out with me on Instagram @hollaformala : https://instagram.com/hollaformala/
- TikTok @ aewellness
- Bodywork Starter Guide – learn the 6 places you need to roll right now for quick-relief, plus the reason why what you’ve tried so far has only given you a temporary fix. Download the guide for free now at www.aewellness.com/bodywork
- 818-396-6501 is the Body Nerd Hotline – how do you build consistency and/or where are you getting stuck? Drop me a line and let me know your body nerd hacks – you might just hear your voice on a future episode!
Today’s episode is brought to you by AE Wellness Mobility Assessments. Not sure what you should be doing for mobility? Instead of trying a bazillion things and spending hours a day, get strategic coaching with a Mobility Assessment… with me! You’ll get your personalized mobility workout plan with the best mobilizations and activations for you, plus all the videos organized in custom playlists to keep things simple. Save $50 off your Mobility Assessment when you use code BODYNERD at www.aewellness.com/mobility/
Subscribe: iTunes | Stitcher | RSS | Google Play | Spotify
Music by: @dcuttermusic / http://www.davidcuttermusic.com