Just because you have an MRI that says something is torn or bulging does not mean you have to have pain.
Seems unbelievable, right?
But what if I told you that there are multiple research studies that have compared low back MRIs of people with and without pain and found no correlation between structural issues and pain?
That you can have NO pain, even if you have a bulging disc. And you can have pain, even if you don’t have a bulging disc.
Because the presence of a structural issue doesn’t mean you’re destined for pain (and vice versa).
If you’re ready to enjoy life without pain, but your MRI wants to say otherwise, today’s episode is for you.
A little bit every day is enough to maintain your body so you can forget about soreness, tension and pain. Movement Mavens is the only program of it’s kind that not only teaches you how to maintain your body and move well, but also helps you craft your personalized plan so you can build sustainable strength, consistently. Learn more now at
What you’ll lean from this episode:
- Why pain is more than just what an MRI says
- Why having a structural issue doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll have pain
- The relationship between your brain and pain
- Do MRI findings correlate with mobility tests? An explorative analysis of the test validity with regard to structure (European Spine Journal 2006)
- Central sensitization and altered central pain processing in chronic low back pain: fact or myth? (The Clinical journal of pain 2013)
- Do knee abnormalities visualised on MRI explain knee pain in knee osteoarthritis? A systematic review. (Annals of the rheumatic diseases 2011)
- Are “Structural Abnormalities” on Magnetic Resonance Imaging a Contraindication to the Successful Conservative Treatment of Chronic Nonspecific Low Back Pain? (Spine, 2006)
- Comparison of shoulder rotation range of motion in professional tennis players with and without history of shoulder pain (Manual Therapy 2015)
- 30 days to more strength + flexibility with the Mobility Mastery Toolkit
- Movement Mavens has the tools and strategy to support you on your path to enjoying life without pain – www.aewellness.com/mavens
- www.aewellness.com/podcast – Show notes, links and more.
- Join the free Body Nerds FB community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/aewbodynerds/
- Come hang out with me on Instagram @hollaformala : https://instagram.com/hollaformala/
- TikTok @ aewellness
- Bodywork Starter Guide – learn the 6 places you need to roll right now for quick-relief, plus the reason why what you’ve tried so far has only given you a temporary fix. Download the guide for free now at www.aewellness.com/bodywork
- 818-396-6501 is the Body Nerd Hotline – how do you build consistency and/or where are you getting stuck? Drop me a line and let me know your body nerd hacks – you might just hear your voice on a future episode!
Today’s episode is brought to you by Mobility Mastery Toolkit. Forget icing and stretching – and get a simple program you can do on your own that actually works. The Toolkit includes 30-days of exercises so you know exactly what to do to improve the mobility of your hips, lower back, feet, neck and shoulders. With video demos and a full-body mobility workout calendar, you’re just 15-mins a day from feeling stronger and more flexible. Save 50% when you use the code MASTERY at
Music by: @dcuttermusic / http://www.davidcuttermusic.com