Have you ever hurt your back doing something super basic…like sneezing? I’ve seen a few memes about how when we were in our 20s we could get away with anything but now if you sneeze you throw out your back. 🙈
And while back pain may seem like something you have to wait out from the couch, there’s a lot you can do to strengthen your back – none of which is crunches.
Core strength is more than being able to do a bunch of sit-ups – it’s the ability to support and stabilize your entire spine, regardless of the movement.
So if you’ve ever thrown out your back doing something super simple and want to learn how to get rid of back pain, today’s episode is for you.
A little bit every day is enough to maintain your body so you can forget about soreness, tension and pain. Movement Mavens is the only program of it’s kind that not only teaches you how to maintain your body and move well, but also helps you craft your personalized plan so you can build sustainable strength, consistently. Learn more now at
What you’ll lean from this episode:
- Why throwing your back out when you sneeze has more to do with movement than age
- Why core strength should be more than just crunches
- And how to build strength that stabilizes your back in every direction
- Build Core Strength [AE Wellness YouTube]
- Are deadlifts bad for your back? (and other fitness myths) with Dr. Sarah Court [AE Wellness YouTube]
- Spinal Loading Patterns From Biomechanical Modeling Explain the High Incidence of Vertebral Fractures in the Thoracolumbar Region
- A diagnostic study in patients with sciatica establishing the importance of localization of worsening of pain during coughing, sneezing and straining to assess nerve root compression on MRI
- 30 days to more strength + flexibility with the Mobility Mastery Toolkit
- Movement Mavens has the tools and strategy to support you on your path to enjoying life without pain – www.aewellness.com/mavens
- www.aewellness.com/podcast – Show notes, links and more.
- Come hang out with me on Instagram @hollaformala : https://instagram.com/hollaformala/
- TikTok @ aewellness
- Bodywork Starter Guide – learn the 6 places you need to roll right now for quick-relief, plus the reason why what you’ve tried so far has only given you a temporary fix. Download the guide for free now at www.aewellness.com/bodywork
- 818-396-6501 is the Body Nerd Hotline – how do you build consistency and/or where are you getting stuck? Drop me a line and let me know your body nerd hacks – you might just hear your voice on a future episode!
Today’s episode is brought to you by Mobility Mastery Toolkit. Forget icing and stretching – and get a simple program you can do on your own that actually works. The Toolkit includes 30-days of exercises so you know exactly what to do to improve the mobility of your hips, lower back, feet, neck and shoulders. With video demos and a full-body mobility workout calendar, you’re just 15-mins a day from feeling stronger and more flexible. Save 50% when you use the code MASTERY at
Music by: @dcuttermusic / http://www.davidcuttermusic.com