When was the last time you thought specifically about your grip strength? You know, the strength of your hands?
You use grip strength to pick up your phone, feed yourself, open jars and doors, and every interaction you have with your hands in your environment.
But what should you do to build grip strength (beyond the spring-loaded squeeze contraption or rubber bands)?
Not only is grip strength used as a predictor for overall health, especially in older folks, but if you lack adequate grip strength, it can contribute to weakness (or pain) in other areas like your shoulders, core, or neck.
So if you’ve been trying to build upper body strength or have been struggling with shoulder pain that isn’t responding to anything else, then this episode is for you.
A little bit every day is enough to maintain your body so you can forget about soreness, tension and pain. Movement Mavens is the only program of it’s kind that not only teaches you how to maintain your body and move well, but also helps you craft your personalized plan so you can build sustainable strength, consistently. Learn more now at
What you’ll lean from this episode:
- All things grip strength
- How your neck and shoulder pain is related
- and why improving grip strength will help strengthen your shoulders (and the rest of your body)
- Improve Grip Strength with Hanging (AEWellness YouTube)
- Forearm and Wrist Fix with Therapy Ball Massage (AEWellness YouTube)
- Forearm stretches for elbow pain (AEWellness YouTube)
- Hand grip strength: Outcome predictor and marker of nutritional status (Clinical Nutrition)
- Quantification of the effects of instruction type, verbal encouragement, and visual feedback on static and peak handgrip strength (International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 2004)
- How Forearm Position Affects Grip Strength (American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 1996)
- Effect of shoulder stability exercises on hand grip strength in patients with shoulder impingement syndrome (Somatosensory & Motor Research, 2019)
- 30 days to more strength + flexibility with the Mobility Mastery Toolkit
- Movement Mavens has the tools and strategy to support you on your path to enjoying life without pain – www.aewellness.com/mavens
- www.aewellness.com/podcast – Show notes, links and more.
- Join the free Body Nerds FB community:
- Come hang out with me on Instagram @hollaformala : https://instagram.com/hollaformala/
- TikTok @ aewellness
- Bodywork Starter Guide – learn the 6 places you need to roll right now for quick-relief, plus the reason why what you’ve tried so far has only given you a temporary fix. Download the guide for free now at www.aewellness.com/bodywork
- 818-396-6501 is the Body Nerd Hotline – how do you build consistency and/or where are you getting stuck? Drop me a line and let me know your body nerd hacks – you might just hear your voice on a future episode!
Today’s episode is brought to you by Mobility Mastery Toolkit. Forget icing and stretching – and get a simple program you can do on your own that actually works. The Toolkit includes 30-days of exercises so you know exactly what to do to improve the mobility of your hips, lower back, feet, neck and shoulders. With video demos and a full-body mobility workout calendar, you’re just 15-mins a day from feeling stronger and more flexible. Save 50% when you use the code MASTERY at
Music by: @dcuttermusic / http://www.davidcuttermusic.com