Should you keep running when you’re injured? And what should you do for that sore Achilles when you’re done?
RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) is considered the gold standard when it comes to addressing pain, but the latest research has found that a little inflammation might not be a bad thing when it comes to healing.
I’m joined on the show today by physical therapist and host of the Run Smarter Podcast, Brodie Sharpe. And he’s bringing the latest research and knowledge all about running (and working out while injured) so you can get back to the activities you love.
Whether or not you’re a runner, when you’re an active person, injuries happen – and today’s episode is filled with practical tips you can put to immediately.
A little bit every day is enough to maintain your body so you can forget about soreness, tension and pain. Movement Mavens is the only program of it’s kind that not only teaches you how to maintain your body and move well, but also helps you craft your personalized plan so you can build sustainable strength, consistently. Learn more now at
What you’ll lean from this episode:
- Why it might be ok to run or workout when you’re injured
- Why rest, ice, and anti-inflammatories are not the best first step for an injury (and what you should do instead)
- And how to get back into running and workouts without making it worse
- Run Smarter: Evidence-based Guidance and Expert Opinions to Help You Survive & Thrive as a Runner by Brodie Sharpe [book]
- Run Smarter Podcast
- Run Smarter Online, Brodie’s website
- 30 days to more strength + flexibility with the Mobility Mastery Toolkit
- Movement Mavens has the tools and strategy to support you on your path to enjoying life without pain – www.aewellness.com/mavens
- www.aewellness.com/podcast – Show notes, links and more.
- Join the free Body Nerds FB community:
- Come hang out with me on Instagram @hollaformala : https://instagram.com/hollaformala/
- TikTok @ aewellness
- Bodywork Starter Guide – learn the 6 places you need to roll right now for quick-relief, plus the reason why what you’ve tried so far has only given you a temporary fix. Download the guide for free now at www.aewellness.com/bodywork
- 818-396-6501 is the Body Nerd Hotline – how do you build consistency and/or where are you getting stuck? Drop me a line and let me know your body nerd hacks – you might just hear your voice on a future episode!
Today’s episode is brought to you by Mobility Mastery Toolkit. Forget icing and stretching – and get a simple program you can do on your own that actually works. The Toolkit includes 30-days of exercises so you know exactly what to do to improve the mobility of your hips, lower back, feet, neck and shoulders. With video demos and a full-body mobility workout calendar, you’re just 15-mins a day from feeling stronger and more flexible. Save 50% when you use the code MASTERY at
Music by: @dcuttermusic / http://www.davidcuttermusic.com