Long COVID is a serious issue. And in July 2021, it was added as a recognized condition that could result in a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
But what is Long COVID? And why are only some people affected by it?
Emerging research has found a relationship between Phrenic and Vagus nerve changes and chronic COVID symptoms, which may be one of the causes of lingering symptoms like fatigue, shortness of breath, difficulty concentrating, and digestive issues.
So what’s actually happening in the body when things don’t feel “right” after the initial infection?
A little bit every day is enough to maintain your body so you can forget about soreness, tension and pain. Movement Mavens is the only program of it’s kind that not only teaches you how to maintain your body and move well, but also helps you craft your personalized plan so you can build sustainable strength, consistently. Learn more now at
What you’ll lean from this episode:
- The anatomy of Long COVID
- How it can impact your nervous system
- And how long-haul COVID can affect your diaphragm and breathing for months after the initial infection
- Nervous system consequences of COVID-19 (Science, 2022)
- Long COVID Symptoms Linked to Effects on Vagus Nerve (WebMD News)
- Phrenic Nerve Injury
- Diaphragmatic myoclonus due to SARS-CoV-2 infection (Neurological Sciences, 2020)
- Respiratory Distress in SARS-CoV-2 without Lung Damage: Phrenic Paralysis Should Be Considered in COVID-19 Infection (European Journal of Case Reports in Internal Medicine , 2020)
- A pilot randomized controlled trial of supervised, at-home, self-administered transcutaneous auricular vagus nerve stimulation (taVNS) to manage long COVID symptoms (Bioelectronic Medicine, 2022)
- Pilot study suggests long COVID could be linked to the effects of SARS-CoV-2 on the vagus nerve
- Join me for the 2023 Movement Mavens Retreat! www.aewellness.com/retreat/
- 30 days to more strength + flexibility with the Mobility Mastery Toolkit
- Movement Mavens has the tools and strategy to support you on your path to enjoying life without pain – www.aewellness.com/mavens
- www.aewellness.com/podcast – Show notes, links and more.
- Come hang out with me on Instagram @hollaformala : https://instagram.com/hollaformala/
- TikTok @ aewellness
- Bodywork Starter Guide – learn the 6 places you need to roll right now for quick-relief, plus the reason why what you’ve tried so far has only given you a temporary fix. Download the guide for free now at www.aewellness.com/bodywork
- 818-396-6501 is the Body Nerd Hotline – how do you build consistency and/or where are you getting stuck? Drop me a line and let me know your body nerd hacks – you might just hear your voice on a future episode!
Today’s episode is brought to you by Mobility Mastery Toolkit. Forget icing and stretching – and get a simple program you can do on your own that actually works. The Toolkit includes 30-days of exercises so you know exactly what to do to improve the mobility of your hips, lower back, feet, neck and shoulders. With video demos and a full-body mobility workout calendar, you’re just 15-mins a day from feeling stronger and more flexible. Save 50% when you use the code MASTERY at
Music by: @dcuttermusic / http://www.davidcuttermusic.com