Have you ever felt tightness or pain at the front of your hip? Hip flexor tension and pain are super common among people who spend time sitting (myself included).
Beyond tension, hip flexor issues can also lead to low back pain or numbness along the top of the thigh.
I know I’m not alone when it comes to tension in the hip flexors, so in celebration of the 200th (!!!) episode of the Body Nerd Show, I’m sharing my best tips to get you out of the hip flexor stretch/pain cycle so you can move better and feel better.
And not a single lunge stretch will be required 😉
A little bit every day is enough to maintain your body so you can forget about soreness, tension and pain. Movement Mavens is the only program of it’s kind that not only teaches you how to maintain your body and move well, but also helps you craft your personalized plan so you can build sustainable strength, consistently. Learn more now at
What you’ll lean from this episode:
- Why your hip flexors are so tight
- Basic hip flexor anatomy
- Common causes of hip and low back tension and pain
- And the best exercises for happy, healthy hip flexors
- Meralagia paresthetica (Johns Hopkins)
- MERALGIA PARESTHETICA: A REVIEW OF THE LITERATURE (PubMed)
- Incidence rates and determinants in meralgia paresthetica in general practice (Journal of Neurology 2004)
- Effect of foam rolling and static stretching on passive hip-flexion range of motion (Journal of sport rehabilitation, 2014)
- Join me for the 2023 Movement Mavens Retreat! www.aewellness.com/retreat/
- Hip Flexor + Quad Relief [AE Wellness YouTube]
- 30 days to more strength + flexibility with the Mobility Mastery Toolkit
- Movement Mavens has the tools and strategy to support you on your path to enjoying life without pain – www.aewellness.com/mavens
- www.aewellness.com/podcast – Show notes, links and more.
- Join the free Body Nerds FB community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/aewbodynerds/
- Come hang out with me on Instagram @hollaformala : https://instagram.com/hollaformala/
- TikTok @ aewellness
- Bodywork Starter Guide – learn the 6 places you need to roll right now for quick relief, plus the reason why what you’ve tried so far has only given you a temporary fix. Download the guide for free now at www.aewellness.com/bodywork
- 818-396-6501 is the Body Nerd Hotline – how do you build consistency and/or where are you getting stuck? Drop me a line and let me know your body nerd hacks – you might just hear your voice on a future episode!
Today’s episode is brought to you by Mobility Mastery Toolkit. Forget icing and stretching – and get a simple program you can do on your own that actually works. The Toolkit includes 30-days of exercises so you know exactly what to do to improve the mobility of your hips, lower back, feet, neck and shoulders. With video demos and a full-body mobility workout calendar, you’re just 15-mins a day from feeling stronger and more flexible. Save 50% when you use the code MASTERY at
Music by: @dcuttermusic / http://www.davidcuttermusic.com