As a former soccer player, I know firsthand just how awful shin splints can be. The dull ache at the front of my shin made me feel like I was walking on glass shards. 😭
And don’t even get me started on how clueless I was about stretching the front of my shin. Little me had no idea that was even a thing!
So instead, I spent countless hours icing my shins, crossing my fingers, and hoping the pain would magically disappear.
But the truth is, whether you’re a seasoned athlete or just someone who likes to stay active, shin splints are a common and incredibly frustrating issue.
So if you’re currently dealing with the agony of shin splints or just want to avoid it in the future, you’re in the right place!
A little bit every day is enough to maintain your body so you can forget about soreness, tension and pain. Movement Mavens is the only program of it’s kind that not only teaches you how to maintain your body and move well, but also helps you craft your personalized plan so you can build sustainable strength, consistently. Learn more now at
What you’ll lean from this episode:
- What causes Medial tibial stress syndrome (aka shin splints)
- Why traditional treatment options like stretching and arch supports don’t really help
- Smarter ways to build strength, flexibility, and mobility for your feet and lower legs to get rid of pain for good
- Medial tibial stress syndrome: evidence-based prevention. J Athl Train. 2008
- Intrinsic factors associated with exercise-related leg pain in collegiate cross-country runners. Clin J Sport Med. 2006
- Tibial stress reaction in runners. Correlation of clinical symptoms and scintigraphy with a new magnetic resonance imaging grading system. Am J Sports Med. 1995
- Join me for the 2023 Movement Mavens Retreat! www.aewellness.com/retreat/
- 30 days to more strength + flexibility with the Mobility Mastery Toolkit
- www.aewellness.com/podcast – Show notes, links and more.
- Come hang out with me on Instagram @hollaformala : https://instagram.com/hollaformala/
- TikTok @ aewellness
- Bodywork Starter Guide – learn the 6 places you need to roll right now for quick relief, plus the reason why what you’ve tried so far has only given you a temporary fix. Download the guide for free now at www.aewellness.com/bodywork
- 818-396-6501 is the Body Nerd Hotline – how do you build consistency and/or where are you getting stuck? Drop me a line and let me know your body nerd hacks – you might just hear your voice on a future episode!
Today’s episode is brought to you by Mobility Mastery Toolkit. Forget icing and stretching – and get a simple program you can do on your own that actually works. The Toolkit includes 30-days of exercises so you know exactly what to do to improve the mobility of your hips, lower back, feet, neck and shoulders. With video demos and a full-body mobility workout calendar, you’re just 15-mins a day from feeling stronger and more flexible. Save 50% when you use the code MASTERY at
Music by: @dcuttermusic / http://www.davidcuttermusic.com