Let’s talk about something we’ve all experienced: Hiccups. They can strike at any age, and for most of us, they’re just an annoying inconvenience.
But have you ever wondered what actually causes hiccups? Or if the old tricks of holding your breath or drinking water actually work?
In this week’s episode, we’re diving deep into the weird science of hiccups.
Did you know that premature infants can spend up to 2.5% of their time hiccupping, and that the world record for hiccups is 68 years? 😱
As a total body nerd, I’m 100% fascinated by the physiology of hiccups. And by the end of this episode, you will be too.
A little bit every day is enough to maintain your body so you can forget about soreness, tension and pain. Movement Mavens is the only program of it’s kind that not only teaches you how to maintain your body and move well, but also helps you craft your personalized plan so you can build sustainable strength, consistently. Learn more now at www.aewellness.com/mavens
What you’ll lean from this episode:
- The anatomy of the hiccup
- Common causes
- And the best way to get rid of them
- Hiccups: a common problem with some unusual causes and cures. Br J Gen Pract. 2016.)
- An experimental study of hiccup. Brain. 1970
- A phylogenetic hypothesis for the origin of hiccough. Bioessays. 2003 Feb
- [The Curious Case of Charles Osborne, Who Hiccupped for 68 Years Straight](https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-curious-case-of-charles-osborne-who-hiccuped-for-68-years-straight-180980232/#:~:text=He’d had plenty of,confirmed by Guinness World Records.)
- Join me for the 2023 Movement Mavens Retreat! www.aewellness.com/retreat/
- 30 days to more strength + flexibility with the Mobility Mastery Toolkit
- www.aewellness.com/podcast – Show notes, links and more.
- Come hang out with me on Instagram @hollaformala : https://instagram.com/hollaformala/
- TikTok @ aewellness
- Bodywork Starter Guide – learn the 6 places you need to roll right now for quick relief, plus the reason why what you’ve tried so far has only given you a temporary fix. Download the guide for free now at www.aewellness.com/bodywork
- 818-396-6501 is the Body Nerd Hotline – how do you build consistency and/or where are you getting stuck? Drop me a line and let me know your body nerd hacks – you might just hear your voice on a future episode!
Today’s episode is brought to you by Mobility Mastery Toolkit. Forget icing and stretching – and get a simple program you can do on your own that actually works. The Toolkit includes 30-days of exercises so you know exactly what to do to improve the mobility of your hips, lower back, feet, neck and shoulders. With video demos and a full-body mobility workout calendar, you’re just 15-mins a day from feeling stronger and more flexible. Save 50% when you use the code MASTERY at www.mobilitytoolkit.co
Subscribe: iTunes | Stitcher | RSS | Google Play | Spotify
Music by: @dcuttermusic / http://www.davidcuttermusic.com