In today’s episode, we’re delving into the intriguing world of hypermobility.
Have you ever found yourself in one of two camps when it comes to flexibility? Either you’re incredibly bendy, and love yoga and stretching, or you experience tightness and pain as your body tries to compensate for unstable joints.
I used to be a yoga devotee until my increasing my flexibility just meant more pain.
Hypermobility is a multifaceted topic with evolving terminology, related medical diagnoses, and new research being published. If stretching doesn’t alleviate your pain, understanding hypermobility could be the key to improving your movement and overall well-being.
So if you think you might be hypermobile (or work with clients who are), then today’s episode is for you!
A little bit every day is enough to maintain your body so you can forget about soreness, tension and pain. Movement Mavens is the only program of it’s kind that not only teaches you how to maintain your body and move well, but also helps you craft your personalized plan so you can build sustainable strength, consistently. Learn more now at
What you’ll lean from this episode:
- What it means to be hypermobile
- Different types of hypermobility on the spectrum
- Why adding strength training is the key to better joint stability (and less pain), especially if you’re living in a bendy body
- How to Find Neutral Spine
- Functional Crawling Patterns
- Glute and Hamstring warmup
- The Beighton Score as a measure of generalised joint hypermobility (Rheumatology International)
- Diagnosis and Management of Hypermobility Spectrum Disorders in Primary Care (Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine)
- Muscle strength, muscle power and body composition in college-aged young women and men with Generalized Joint Hypermobility (PLOS ONE)
- 30 days to more strength + flexibility with the Mobility Mastery Toolkit
- Movement Mavens has the tools and strategy to support you on your path to enjoying life without pain – www.aewellness.com/mavens
- www.aewellness.com/podcast – Show notes, links and more.
- Join the free Body Nerds FB community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/aewbodynerds/
- Come hang out with me on Instagram @hollaformala : https://instagram.com/hollaformala/
- TikTok @ aewellness
- Bodywork Starter Guide – learn the 6 places you need to roll right now for quick relief, plus the reason why what you’ve tried so far has only given you a temporary fix. Download the guide for free now at www.aewellness.com/bodywork
- 818-396-6501 is the Body Nerd Hotline – how do you build consistency and/or where are you getting stuck? Drop me a line and let me know your body nerd hacks – you might just hear your voice on a future episode!
Today’s episode is brought to you by Mobility Mastery Toolkit. Forget icing and stretching – and get a simple program you can do on your own that actually works. The Toolkit includes 30-days of exercises so you know exactly what to do to improve the mobility of your hips, lower back, feet, neck and shoulders. With video demos and a full-body mobility workout calendar, you’re just 15-mins a day from feeling stronger and more flexible. Save 50% when you use the code MASTERY at
Music by: @dcuttermusic / http://www.davidcuttermusic.com